Only recently, I uploaded most my photos again to flickr because I had changed the licence under which my photos were available for others. This week, I received a request from someone who wanted to work with my photo on their website. An auction website. Basically, they’re taking my photos and creating something for which they charge others money.
Great, right? That’s why I had licensed my photos under the Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike licence, after all.
Two days later and I realize that it just doesn’t sit well with me. I’d love for people to download my photos and to enjoy them, but I do not like other to use them for their own commercial gain. The new licence I have chosen in the most restrictive of all Creative Commons licences: Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 4.0 International. So I fired up my photo program, I changed my automatically added watermark from CC BY-SA into CC BY-NC-ND1 and let’s roll (and wait, and wait and wait some more!).
As of this weekend, most of my photos published on my photo gallery will show this new licence as a watermark at the bottom center of a photo. All the others will not show a watermark, but their licencing has been changed on flickr.
- Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 4.0 International ↩